Since Matt Hancock entered the I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here jungle, Ofcom has received almost 2,000 complaints.
The disgraced former Health Secretary, who resigned last summer after being caught having an affair with an aide during Covid restrictions, has been arguably the most talked-about contestant of all time, reports The Manc.
The vast majority of complaints were objecting to Matt’s mere presence on the hit ITV show, a career move that also saw him suspended from the Tory party .
His fellow campmates, including Boy George, Sue Cleaver and Chris Moyles, have challenged Hancock on several controversial issues since he joined them, from his decision to leave his constituents to his handling of the pandemic to his 'booty-grabbing affair'.
Other complaints expressed concerns about how he was being treated by fellow contestants.
The 1,968 complaints received by Ofcom were made between 8 November and November 14.
Image: ITV
Ofcom said in a statement: “It’s worth being aware that under our rules, in principle – and taking into account freedom of expression – there’s no ban on any particular person taking part in programmes.
“However, if the mere presence of a person is likely to cause offence, we would expect broadcasters to take steps to mitigate or justify that offence. How they do that editorially, is up to them.”
Last week, when asked about his affair by comedian Babatúndé Aléshé, Hancock said: “I messed up and I fessed up. I resigned and it’s no excuse, but I fell in love, right?”
Babatúndé then joked: “You didn’t just ‘fall in love’ you were grabbing booty bruv!”
It led to a fair amount of backlash on Twitter, with one person writing: “I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anyone do a less convincing impression of a human being than Matt Hancock in this clip.”
Another said: “Ask him about why he sold government contracts to his mates next.”
And another commented: “this whole thing is a joke, Hancock deserves the worst and i hope a stray snake finds a way into his clothes.”
A nationwide temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues has been issued.
Following the UK's fourth heatwave of the summer, and as many regions declare drought conditions, the Government has made the decision to issue a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk.
A disposable barbecue is defined as a fuel tray or grill grid that includes charcoal fuel 'sufficient to provide cooking temperature for the duration of a single cooking episode'.
Earlier this week, Prime Minister Andy Burnham described the UK as a 'tinderbox' and urged 'all retailers big and small' to withdraw the sale of disposable barbecues to prevent further wildfires, but following the shocking scenes in Stourbridge which raged overnight, it appears this has been escalated to a formal temporary ban.
The ban applies to all producers and distributors of the product - including retailers that make disposable barbecues available on the British market - and includes online sales too.
A Government statement reads: "During the current drought and heatwave conditions, the Government considers that the supply and subsequent foreseeable use of disposable barbecues poses a significant risk to the public, and the environment, and therefore cannot be considered a safe product.
"They should not be made available for supply either in store or online at the current time.
"These guidelines will be kept under review, and will be withdrawn in consultation with relevant departments and agencies, as weather conditions change sufficiently to significantly reduce the risks."
Featured Image - Dom (via Unsplash)
News
A brand-new kite festival is coming to a country house in Leeds next weekend
Clementine Hall
Colourful kites will paint the sky next weekend as Lotherton Hall is gearing up for its first ever Kite Festival.
Taking place on Saturday 22 and Sunday 23 August, over 30 kites of all different colours, shapes and sizes will take to the sky, flown by professional fliers from all over the country.
Visitors can expect some of the world’s largest inflatable kites, and you may even spot some in the shape of your favourite character.
Not only that, but children can bring in their bravest teddies that will, weather permitting, be dropped from the sky, equipped with parachutes so they can sail down safely to their owners.
Image: Supplied
Entry to the kite festival is included in the Lotherton Hall admission, where there will also be a fun house, bumper cars and face painting as well as food stalls to keep you fuelled up for the day.
The festival is organised by The Northern Kite Group who are behind the hugely popular kite festivals in Filey, Bridlington and Redcar, so you just know we're in for a treat.
Councillor James Gibson, Leeds City Council’s executive member for environment, said: “We’re very excited to be bringing this kite festival to Lotherton for the very first time, one which I’m sure will be a brilliant day out for the whole family.
“Lotherton is one of our most loved attractions and it has so much to offer for the summer, with a full activity schedule for the school holidays as well as Wildlife World and deer park tours.”
Sarah Duncalf, secretary from Northern Kite Group said: “We’re absolutely thrilled to be bringing a kite festival to Lotherton this summer. The sight of spectacular kites filling the sky is something visitors won’t want to miss.
“From giant inflatable characters and breathtaking displays to our ever-popular teddy bear parachute drop, there will be plenty to entertain the whole family. We’re looking forward to creating a weekend full of colour, excitement and unforgettable memories, and we can’t wait to welcome everyone.”