Huddersfield's Oliver Townend and his Olympics GB teammates, Laura Collett and Tom McEwen, have stormed to gold in the final showjumping stage for Britain at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
All three were making their Olympic debuts, however, they performed with incredible strength: holding a huge lead of 17.9 penalties after impressive rounds in Sunday's cross-country phase
Performing together in the final showjumping stage, the trio sealed a team victory - bringing home the gold ahead of Australia and France and finishing with 86.30 penalties, 13.90 clear of Australia.
Australia took home silver, whilst France took home the bronze. - whilst Germany's Julia Krajewski won the individual title, scooping it away from McEwen.
McEwen, instead, took home a silver medal in the competition on Toledo De Kerser.
Reflecting on his round, McEwen said: “He is a class horse and a great jumper, so it was just up to me on top.
“My nerves were fine. They (Townend and Collett) are both brilliant riders, and I had no doubt they would pull it straight out of the bag quite easily and comfortably.”
It's a momentous achievement, especially given that the gold has not been taken home by a British team for 49 years. The last time Britain had a wine like this was at the 1972 Games in Munich.
The victory was additionally sweet for Laura Collett, who nearly died eight years ago after falling from her horse.
At the time, she was very badly injured and ended up in a coma - suffering with a punctured lung, spine, shoulder and rib fractures, not to mention losing the majority of her vision in one eye.
Speaking today to the BBC, she reflected on how fortunate she felt to be able to attend and take part:
"I know I am lucky just to be alive, let alone doing the job I love and winning an Olympic medal," the 31-year-old tsaid.
"Just to be here was more than a dream come true."
Feature image - Shropshire Star.
News
Major new phone rule introduced at Wetherspoons after customers are ‘driven nuts’
A major new phone rule has been introduced in all JD Wetherspoon pubs across the UK after customers complain of being 'driven nuts'.
The pub chain - which has nearly 800 branches across the UK - announced earlier this week that it has made the decision to ban people from playing music or videos out of their phones, and from taking calls on loudspeaker.
The ban, which has been introduced effective immediately, follows a rising number of complaints from customers about the noise - with owners saying sounds from smartphones and tablet computers had become an 'increasing problem' in recent years.
Wetherspoon founder and chairman, Tim Martin, says he wants Wetherspoon pubs to be 'an oasis of tranquillity and contemplation'.
A formal statement from the company announcing the ban reads: "Following complaints from customers, who are being driven nuts by other people’s videos and amplified phone conversations, Wetherspoon has asked customers to switch their phones to silent or to use earphones."
Wetherspoons has introduced a new phone rule at all its UK pubs after customers are 'driven nuts' / Credit: Allan Rohmer (via Unsplash)
Tim Martin added: "In order to avoid customers being driven chicken jalfrezi by a cacophony of sound, we are kindly asking phone users to pipe down."
Wetherspoon's ban follows a YouGov poll conducted last year questioning public opinion on a proposition made by the Liberal Democrats of introducing fines of up to £1,000 for 'headphone dodgers' who play music out loud on buses and trains.
62% of people, on average, said they would back this move if it was introduced.
The poll, which surveyed 6,815 British adults, found that almost three-quarters of those over 65 would support the fines, while those aged between 18 and 24 were split 47% to 43% in favour of it.
Early public reactions to Wetherspoon's ban appears to be overwhelmingly positive.
Featured Image - Jonathan Borba (via Unsplash)
News
EasyJet axes all flights from Leeds Bradford Airport, including routes to Paris and Barcelona
Daisy Jackson
EasyJet will stop flying from Leeds Bradford Airport, the airline has announced, affecting flights to five popular destinations.
The budget airline has confirmed that flights from the Yorkshire airport to destinations including Paris and Barcelona will cease in the coming months.
EasyJet currently also operate routes to Belfast, Malaga, and Palma, whisking travellers from Leeds to sunnier climes and city breaks.
In a statement, EasyJet confirmed that it will pull out of Leeds Bradford Airport fully on 5 January, 2027.
They said: "Following a review of our routes from Leeds Bradford Airport, we have made the decision to no longer operate flights from the airport after 5 January.
"Our focus is on maintaining and developing routes which prove most popular with customers.
"We value the relationship we have built with Leeds Bradford Airport, and we always keep options for our network under review, with the aim of providing more choice and connectivity where we see demand."
They have stressed that flights will continue to operate as normal until 5 January.
Eight other airlines currently fly from LBA, including Ryanair and Jet2.