Over the next two years, most major airports in the UK are to introduce new “cutting-edge technology systems” into their security checkpoints.
Going through airport security could soon be a different experience as rules around liquid limits and electronic device removal are set to be relaxed, reports The Manc.
The new technology will not only end up being more convenient for travellers, as you’ll no longer need to spend time taking items out of your bags, but it’s also expected to make the passenger experience safer, as security staff will have more detailed images of what people are carrying.
Passengers are currently required to remove all electronic devices, such as laptops, tablets, and mobile phones, from their cabin baggage, while liquids also have to be removed and are limited to 100ml and must be in a clear plastic bag.
Image: Leeds Bradford Airport
This requirement will eventually be lifted, and the 100ml liquid container limit will be extended to two litres, the government says.
It’s set to be “the biggest shake-up” of airport security rules in decades.
The current liquids rules – which were introduced in 2006 following a terrorist threat – have been designed to stop those with hostile intent carrying liquid explosives onto planes.
Going through airport security could soon be a different experience come 2024 / Credit: Wikimedia Commons
The government says the introduction of new technology is ushering in “a new era” of improved security and passenger experience when going through departures, and follows several trials conducted at some airports since 2018, which have “demonstrated the effectiveness” of this new screening equipment and technology.
These changes are all due to new regulations being put in place by the Department for Transport (DfT) today to remove parts of EU law that governs how new technology and processes can be implemented – which the government says will make it easier to streamline the processes that apply to UK airports in the future.
The government also believes these changes will further improve what are “the already high-security standards” in the UK.
Image: Manchester Airport
A deadline for all major UK airports to install the new technology has been set for 2024.
Until this deadline, passengers must follow the same rules as now until further notice, or unless told otherwise, and crucially, they should check with their specific airport before travelling to see which rules are in place.
They should also check the rules for carrying liquids at any airport through which they may transfer during their journey and at their return airport, as many destinations may not have implemented this new technology.
A popular bar and nightlife spot on Call Lane has closed its doors for good this weekend.
Revolución de Cuba - or Revs de Cuba, to most of us - announced the imminent closure of its Leeds bar last week, and went out with a 'final fiesta' on Saturday.
The venue opened on Call Lane, right in the heart of Leeds' nightlife heartland, back in 2015, and remained open after the collapse of Revolution's parent company back in January 2026.
The group's other venue in the city, Revolution at the Electric Press, did close immediately in January.
Revs de Cuba was famed for its Latin-inspired food and cocktails, and its late-night parties that tried to recreate the party atmosphere of Cuba.
The two-storey venue also had live music throughout the week, plus dancers and entertainment at the weekends.
Posting a statement to followers, Revs de Cuba wrote: "We have loved shaking your cocktails and creating unmissable parties and events over the years, but as of today, 15th August 2026, we will sadly be closing our doors in Leeds.
"We want to extend an enormous thank you for joining the Revolucion party and making some unforgettable memories.
"Any guests with bookings will be contacted in due course - Thank you for your patience and understanding. Goodbye and Gracias."
Commenting on their farewell post, one person wrote: "Noooooo! I had the best nights ever at Revs. I have the best memories. This cannot be trueeee."
Another said: "Thanks for so many years of Live Music and Joy."
And someone else posted: "what a place, end of an era."
The existing Revs de Cuba site in Leeds is under the steer of the NEOS Hospitality, who have revealed grand plans for its future...
Police launch investigation into ‘unexplained’ deaths of two people in Bradford
Emily Sergeant
A police investigation has been launched following the 'unexplained' deaths of two people who were known to each other.
At around 6:55pm on 11 August, officers from West Yorkshire Police (WYP) were first called out to an address on New Stead Rise in Bradford following reports that a woman, aged 52, had been found dead, and then a further call was received at 7:14pm to reports a 59-year-old man was found dead at a business premises on Tong Park Industrial estate.
Both deaths are currently being treated as 'unexplained', WYP declared, and enquiries are being carried out with a forensic examination pending.
Detective Chief Inspector James Entwistle, of the Homicide and Major Enquiry team, confirmed that the deceased are known to each other - which is why an investigation and public appeal for information has been launched.
"Sadly, we are investigating after the deaths of two people at two locations in Bradford," Detective Chief Inspector James Entwistle said.
"These people are known to each other, and their deaths are being treated as unexplained. We are not currently seeking anyone else in connection with their deaths.
"Enquiries remain ongoing into establishing what has happened."
Can you help? Anyone with any information is asked to contact police via 101, or by using the live chat options at https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/livechat, quoting log 1539 of 11 August.