This morning, Leeds Bradford Airport has announced it is withdrawing its planning application for a replacement terminal.
The withdrawal is said to come from "excessive delays and the decision to call in plans by the Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities".
Airport bosses have said that they are "not prepared to commit a further uncapped sum over an indefinite timeframe into a public enquiry process when their focus needs to be on modernising the airport for the future".
Image: Leeds Bradford Airport
According to Business Traveller, the original terminal building plans would have cost over £150 million and included a three-floor, 34,000 sqm terminal building, but the airport would still manage to meet its target of net zero carbon emissions from airport operations by 2023.
The airport will now turn its attention to developing the extension to the existing terminal, originally approved by Leeds City Council in 2019.
This is thought to enable LBA to meet the rapidly increasing passenger demand as the aviation sector recovers from the pandemic without the extra terminal building.
In a statement released this morning, Leeds Bradford Airport said that, "LBA remains committed to delivering its 2030 Carbon Net Zero Roadmap and to creating a modern, decarbonised regional UK airport within the extension scheme" and it is thought that this will be factored into developing the extension of the existing terminal.
Vincent Hodder, CEO of Leeds Bradford Airport, said: “It is with regret that we have made the decision to withdraw LBA’s application for the development of a new replacement terminal.
“As the travel and aviation industry continues to recover from the impacts of the pandemic, LBA needs to be able to respond to rapidly increasing demand within the next few years.
“I would like to thank everyone who has supported us in the planning process, from the general public to the business community and councils across Yorkshire. Whilst this is a setback for our airport and region, we remain committed to investing in LBA to be an outstanding, decarbonised, modern airport for the future.”
“My team and I are optimistic about the recovery from the pandemic and about the future of Leeds Bradford Airport”.
Details of the extension scheme will be released in the coming months.
Feature Image- Leeds Bradford Airport
News
Call Lane bar closes down for good after almost a decade in Leeds
A popular bar and nightlife spot on Call Lane has closed its doors for good this weekend.
Revolución de Cuba - or Revs de Cuba, to most of us - announced the imminent closure of its Leeds bar last week, and went out with a 'final fiesta' on Saturday.
The venue opened on Call Lane, right in the heart of Leeds' nightlife heartland, back in 2015, and remained open after the collapse of Revolution's parent company back in January 2026.
The group's other venue in the city, Revolution at the Electric Press, did close immediately in January.
Revs de Cuba was famed for its Latin-inspired food and cocktails, and its late-night parties that tried to recreate the party atmosphere of Cuba.
The two-storey venue also had live music throughout the week, plus dancers and entertainment at the weekends.
Posting a statement to followers, Revs de Cuba wrote: "We have loved shaking your cocktails and creating unmissable parties and events over the years, but as of today, 15th August 2026, we will sadly be closing our doors in Leeds.
"We want to extend an enormous thank you for joining the Revolucion party and making some unforgettable memories.
"Any guests with bookings will be contacted in due course - Thank you for your patience and understanding. Goodbye and Gracias."
Commenting on their farewell post, one person wrote: "Noooooo! I had the best nights ever at Revs. I have the best memories. This cannot be trueeee."
Another said: "Thanks for so many years of Live Music and Joy."
And someone else posted: "what a place, end of an era."
The existing Revs de Cuba site in Leeds is under the steer of the NEOS Hospitality, who have revealed grand plans for its future...
Police launch investigation into ‘unexplained’ deaths of two people in Bradford
Emily Sergeant
A police investigation has been launched following the 'unexplained' deaths of two people who were known to each other.
At around 6:55pm on 11 August, officers from West Yorkshire Police (WYP) were first called out to an address on New Stead Rise in Bradford following reports that a woman, aged 52, had been found dead, and then a further call was received at 7:14pm to reports a 59-year-old man was found dead at a business premises on Tong Park Industrial estate.
Both deaths are currently being treated as 'unexplained', WYP declared, and enquiries are being carried out with a forensic examination pending.
Detective Chief Inspector James Entwistle, of the Homicide and Major Enquiry team, confirmed that the deceased are known to each other - which is why an investigation and public appeal for information has been launched.
"Sadly, we are investigating after the deaths of two people at two locations in Bradford," Detective Chief Inspector James Entwistle said.
"These people are known to each other, and their deaths are being treated as unexplained. We are not currently seeking anyone else in connection with their deaths.
"Enquiries remain ongoing into establishing what has happened."
Can you help? Anyone with any information is asked to contact police via 101, or by using the live chat options at https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/livechat, quoting log 1539 of 11 August.