The funding award comes after Leeds City Council and the Morley Town Deal Board submitted a Town Investment Plan in July.
Morley has won full approval for £24.3m of Towns Fund grant following the submission of outline plans to the Government in July.
The Town Investment Plan featured a range of schemes to deliver on key priorities identified through public consultation.
Plans include new and improved public spaces for the community to enjoy, featuring significant development on the Town Square, Queen Street and local parks and playgrounds.
There will be significant upgrades to travel choices around Morley, with enhanced routes around town and better crossings and junctions to increase safety for pedestrians.
Image: Leeds Government
There's also an exciting plan for a White Rose Innovation Hub which will run alongside a new technology-focused skills campus run by Leeds City College. Both plans will create fantastic skills training and job opportunities for residents and businesses.
Other innovations include enhancing Morley's heritage buildings, bringing more events and activities to the town, and a new heritage grants scheme that will offer businesses the chance to invest in shop fronts and to restore buildings on Queen Street.
With the funding now confirmed, the exciting plans will now move to the design stage with initial project delivery expected to start in 2023. The delivery work is projected to last until 2026.
Image: Leeds Government
Councillor Helen Hayden, Leeds City Council’s executive member for infrastructure and climate, said: “I’m pleased that we have been able to deliver this funding approval for the people of Morley, and I want to congratulate everyone on the hard work that has already gone into the various projects.
“The Town Investment Plan is a real opportunity to build a better future for Morley. Not only will these plans bring essential health, environmental, and transport improvements and secure the town’s heritage, they will deliver excellent education and job opportunities for the future.
Image: Leeds Government
“However, the work to bring the Town Investment Plan to reality is far from over. I encourage everyone in Morley to get involved in future consultation to make the Town Deal a plan that rightly represents the views and needs of local people.”
Following the confirmation of funding, the Morley Town Deal Board and it's partners will hold a public drop-in event at Morley Town Hall for members of the public on Saturday 19 November 2022 between 11am and 1pm. Members of the public are encouraged to attend to find out more about the projects and to ask any questions they may have.
More information about the project can be found here on the Leeds Gov website.
A major new phone rule has been introduced in all JD Wetherspoon pubs across the UK after customers complain of being 'driven nuts'.
The pub chain - which has nearly 800 branches across the UK - announced earlier this week that it has made the decision to ban people from playing music or videos out of their phones, and from taking calls on loudspeaker.
The ban, which has been introduced effective immediately, follows a rising number of complaints from customers about the noise - with owners saying sounds from smartphones and tablet computers had become an 'increasing problem' in recent years.
Wetherspoon founder and chairman, Tim Martin, says he wants Wetherspoon pubs to be 'an oasis of tranquillity and contemplation'.
A formal statement from the company announcing the ban reads: "Following complaints from customers, who are being driven nuts by other people’s videos and amplified phone conversations, Wetherspoon has asked customers to switch their phones to silent or to use earphones."
Wetherspoons has introduced a new phone rule at all its UK pubs after customers are 'driven nuts' / Credit: Allan Rohmer (via Unsplash)
Tim Martin added: "In order to avoid customers being driven chicken jalfrezi by a cacophony of sound, we are kindly asking phone users to pipe down."
Wetherspoon's ban follows a YouGov poll conducted last year questioning public opinion on a proposition made by the Liberal Democrats of introducing fines of up to £1,000 for 'headphone dodgers' who play music out loud on buses and trains.
62% of people, on average, said they would back this move if it was introduced.
The poll, which surveyed 6,815 British adults, found that almost three-quarters of those over 65 would support the fines, while those aged between 18 and 24 were split 47% to 43% in favour of it.
Early public reactions to Wetherspoon's ban appears to be overwhelmingly positive.
Featured Image - Jonathan Borba (via Unsplash)
News
EasyJet axes all flights from Leeds Bradford Airport, including routes to Paris and Barcelona
Daisy Jackson
EasyJet will stop flying from Leeds Bradford Airport, the airline has announced, affecting flights to five popular destinations.
The budget airline has confirmed that flights from the Yorkshire airport to destinations including Paris and Barcelona will cease in the coming months.
EasyJet currently also operate routes to Belfast, Malaga, and Palma, whisking travellers from Leeds to sunnier climes and city breaks.
In a statement, EasyJet confirmed that it will pull out of Leeds Bradford Airport fully on 5 January, 2027.
They said: "Following a review of our routes from Leeds Bradford Airport, we have made the decision to no longer operate flights from the airport after 5 January.
"Our focus is on maintaining and developing routes which prove most popular with customers.
"We value the relationship we have built with Leeds Bradford Airport, and we always keep options for our network under review, with the aim of providing more choice and connectivity where we see demand."
They have stressed that flights will continue to operate as normal until 5 January.
Eight other airlines currently fly from LBA, including Ryanair and Jet2.