Yorkshire chef James Martin, famous, amongst other things, for his all-encompassing love of butter, has opened up about a heartbreaking cancer diagnosis.
The celebrity chef, 51, has revealed that he has been diagnosed with cancer on his face and has received several treatments and surgeries.
Speaking out on his cancer diagnosis, Martin revealed to The Sunthat he had first been treated in 2018 and had undergone surgery on his face - only for it to return again on "several occasions."
Responding to leaked audio of a ten-minute tirade directed at crew on his show James Martin’s Saturday Morning in which he reportedly swore over 40 times, he said that it was "one of the most fraught and difficult periods of my life".
He continued: "I was then diagnosed with cancer on my face and I had to have surgery, which I couldn't do until two days before Christmas when we had finished filming."
"Since then it has returned on several occasions and I have to have regular treatments."
The blistering recording, which dates back to 2018 but was leaked this week, saw Martin tell staff they should be “f**king fried” as he tells them to spend their lunch break standing up in the “f***ing rain”.
It reportedly came to light after crews filming James Martin’s Spanish Adventure filed complaints about the star's behaviour, leading to an internal investigation at ITV.
Speaking on the leaked recording, Martin said he "wholly regrets" his angry behaviour and agreed that "lessons have been learned."
In a statement given to The Sun about the rant, Martin said: "Firstly, I would like to publicly and sincerely apologise to the crew involved in this incident, as I did at the time.
"I have always strived to keep my private life private. However since details of a conversation, which was secretly recorded in January 2018, are now five years later being made public by a former member of our production team, I have decided to make a statement.
"The end of 2017 was one of the most fraught and difficult periods of my life. I was dealing with the death of my last living grandparent, my grandfather, and on account of work commitments I could not attend his funeral.
Image: James Martin
"Later that month I was burgled at night by a team of masked men, who entered my house while my partner Louise was at home alone and I was away working. I was devastated that she had to go through that alone.
"On top of this I was then diagnosed with cancer on my face and I had to have surgery, which I couldn't do until two days before Christmas when we had finished filming. Since then it has returned on several occasions and I have to have regular treatments.
"After all this stress I was in a very emotional state, and when after filming in early January 2018 I discovered my home had been flooded while filming, I was extremely upset.
"I can only say I am human and following a build-up of personal life pressure, I admit that I overreacted regarding the damage to my home."
Featured image – James Martin
Art & Culture
Jacqueline Wilson and Gyles Brandreth among big names announced for Ilkley Literature Festival 2026
The north’s longest-running literary festival, Ilkley Literature Festival, has announced its 2026 line-up.
This year, a host of household names including politicians, national treasures, journalists, novelists, poets, historians, comedians, and academics will head to the quaint spa town of Ilkley for their annual literaty festival.
The festival will take place across 17 packed days from Friday 2 to Sunday 18 October 2026.
Andrew Davies, the maestro of literary adaptations such as House of Cards and Bridget Jones will open the festival, having finally turned his razor sharp pen on the most challenging subject of all: himself, with his memoir, An Unsuitable Boy.
Elsewhere, actress Rachael Stirling will be talking about her exceptional mother, Diana Rigg – icon of stage and screen and the subject of a new memoir, whilst Mark Foster, five-time Olympian, six-time World Champion and eight-time World Record holder, will be discussing his inspiring and moving memoir, My Double.
Image: Supplied
Poetry lovers can spend an evening with the Poet laureate, Simon Armitage, as he reads from his new translation of Gilgamesh, whilst much-loved poet Brian Bilston will take you on a whistle stop tour through the history of verse, reading from his new collection How to Lay an Egg with a Horse Inside.
Broadcaster Gyles Brandreth will discussing the secrets for a long and healthy life, whilst icon Dame Jacqueline Wilson will introducing her brand-new book, Esme Pepper, and talking about her career, writing over 120 books for children.
Erica Morris, Chief Executive of Word Up North, the producer of Ilkley Literature Festival, said: “We’re looking forward to welcoming some of today’s most exceptional writers, thinkers and entertainers to Yorkshire this autumn. The festival has been encouraging curiosity, open dialogues and a shared love of words for over half a century.
"This year, as part of the National Year of Reading, we’re putting readers at the heart of the programme with a series of book club-style events - Page Turners Classic Fiction Club - celebrating some of the most compelling novels ever written from Wuthering Heights to The Wasp Factory. From dedicated fans to first-time readers, you can be sure of a warm Yorkshire welcome at Ilkley Literature Festival.”
Tickets go on general sale on Tuesday 25 August, with priority bookings open for Friends of the Festival a week before, on Wednesday 19 August. You can view the full lineup for the Ilkley Literature Festival and book your tickets here.
A state-of-the-art mobile planetarium is coming to Leeds city centre this summer
Clementine Hall
Get ready for an out-of-this-world experience Leeds.
The mobile planetarium will be popping up at Millennium Square where visitors can explore the wonders of the universe this summer.
Planetarium Go UK will arrive just next month, promising immersive astronomy and science-based experiences using the latest technology to capture the stunning far reaches of space.
The attraction employs high-resolution digital projections all housed within an impressive portable dome structure and will screen a programme of films for visitors of all ages.
Image: Supplied
From Friday 4 until Wednesday 26 September, Planetarium Go UK will host screenings every day between 11am and 6pm Sunday to Friday and 10am to 8pm on Saturdays.
José Jiménez, CEO of Planetarium Go UK said: “Our objective is clear: to bring science to places where it has not reached before.
“We want children, young people and families to enjoy an immersive experience that sparks scientific curiosity and brings the universe closer to everyday life, regardless of where they live.”
Image: Supplied
The planetarium is part of the programme of summer events which have taken place on Millennium Square this year, including another belting series of concerts and performances which attracted audiences of thousands.
Councillor Salma Arif, Leeds City Council’s executive member for economy, said: “Millennium Square continues to host an exciting and diverse programme of events and activities at the heart of the city centre each and every year and this summer has been no exception.
“Giving families the opportunity to explore the fascinating wonders of space and astronomy will be an incredible experience and will hopefully help to inspire the next generation of young scientists in Leeds.”
Tickets for Planetarium Go UK are priced from £8 and you can find out more and buy your tickets here.